Scones are one of those things that you either love or hate. And if you hate them, it’s because you’ve never really had a good one. Because when a scone is well crafted, it’s buttery and flaky, it’s tender and delicious. Even better when you make scones packed with crispy pancetta, melted Hickory Farms Farmhouse Cheddar, and fresh herbs. A blend of rosemary, sage, and thyme is what was used in this recipe, but anything works: basil, parsley, and even some oregano are great substitutes to the ones used here.
Hickory Farms Farmhouse Cheddar is hands down one of my favorite cheeses to include and use in recipes, whether it’s a savory preparation like macaroni & cheese, or a baked good like these scones. The creamy, yet flavorful cheese balances off with any flavor you pair it with, is not overwhelming, yet stands its ground as a mild cheddar. Start by using Hickory Farms Farmhouse Cheddar in the scones and you’ll understand why it’s one of my favorite cheeses.
When making scones, you need to start with the correct flour – all-purpose flour works wonders. Some recipes suggest bread flour but the scones turn out to be hard as a rock since the protein percentage in bread flour is much higher, resulting in not so tender baked goods. Make sure to use all purpose and whisk in the other dry ingredients. Grating the cold butter using a box grater over the dry ingredients helps incorporate the butter into all the flour, which eventually leads to a deliciously flaky scone.
The combination of salty pancetta, smooth cheddar cheese and aromatic herbs is what makes these scones even better. If you can’t find pancetta, you can easily substitute for bacon, but make sure to cook it before adding it to the mixture. The best way to cook bacon or pancetta is in a 350 F oven in a baking tray for 12 minutes – easy cleanup and super crispy results!
Pancetta, Cheddar, and Herb Scones are perfect not only for a breakfast or brunch. These are seriously delicious as an afternoon snack or served with a stew or soup for dinner. You can easily adapt this recipe by adding your favorite ingredients. Other combinations that would work include: cheddar and ham; gouda, pecans, and dates; and even a mix of cranberries and smoked turkey!
Pancetta, Cheddar and Herb Scones Recipe
Makes 8 large scones
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 sticks cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta, cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped Hickory Farms Farmhouse Cheddar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a box grater, grate the cold butter into the dry ingredients and crumble with fingers.
- Add cooked pancetta, chopped cheddar cheese, and fresh herbs. Incorporate throughly and drizzle in heavy cream. Knead until it is all mixed together.
- Sprinkle a countertop with flour and drop the dough on it. Shape into a 1 1/2 inch thick disc and cut into 8 large scones.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and place scones on tray. Brush with extra heavy cream and bake until golden brown. Serve with softened butter for breakfast or as a mid-day snack.
Marnely Murray is an established chef with an extensive culinary background, as well as a friend of Hickory Farms. Marnely brings masterfully created recipes using her favorite Hickory Farms products. She has a special knack for turning every dish into a masterpiece.