Quick and easy meals that are flavorful are what we need. Since we are cooking up feasts almost every other weekend during these two months, no one wants to slave over a hot stove to put a meal on the table, much less make way too many dishes. A recipe for a maple mustard salmon is just what you need – prepared, cooked and served on the same baking tray, cleanup is a breeze with this entree.
What’s great is that you only need five ingredients are needed to create this glazed maple mustard salmon and when paired with a big salad of mixed greens, it’s a complete meal for family dinners when you need to get something quick on the table.
When using a small amount of ingredients, my main focus is to make sure each and every ingredient is the best possible – pure maple syrup gives it a sweet hint; Hickory Farms Simply Sweet & Spicy Whole Seed Mustard adds a hint of acid and savoriness; and the fresh herbs brighten up the entire dish. Plus, the mustard is made with a hint of crushed red pepper, adding that lovely subtle spiciness as well, but not too much to even be called spicy! Whole grain mustard is a must have in your pantry and refrigerator because it can elevate a meal with just a slathering – whether you add a dollop to your lunch sandwich, whip up a salad dressing with it, or marinate meats or chicken with it, it’s the ultimate condiment.
Salmon is one of my favorite fish to cook. It’s easily accessible in all grocery stores and fish markets and it’s packed with healthy benefits like Omega 3. The salmon cooks so fast that I only have to set the table and make a salad. It will already have cooked in the oven by the time I’m ready. To serve, just use two forks to flake off the meat and place over salad. When salmon is cooked with the skin on, it keeps the great flavors and moisture of the fish, but the skin will not crisp up since it’s on the bottom – if you’d like crispy skin, you need to cook it skin side up a higher oven temperature and serve the mustard butter on the side. Either way, it’s a delicious recipe that will surely impress friends and family.
Glazed Maple Mustard Salmon Recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2.5 pounds Salmon Filet
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Hickory Farms Simply Sweet & Spicy Whole Seed Mustard
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, and parsley)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and place parchment on a baking tray.
- Place salmon filet, skin side down, on parchment paper.
- In a small bowl using a fork, mix together the softened butter, mustard, and maple syrup.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Slather with mustard butter mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked all the way through (depends on how thick your fish is).
- Sprinkle extra fresh herbs on top and serve immediately.
Marnely Murray is an established chef with an extensive culinary background, as well as a friend of Hickory Farms. She brings masterfully created recipes using her favorite Hickory Farms products and has a special knack for turning every dish into a masterpiece.