For those who don’t want to choose between a steak dinner or a seafood feast, surf and turf is the ideal meal. It’s a classic choice for a reason; the combination of tender steak and succulent lobster is incredibly indulgent. The next time you’re celebrating with a special dinner, try our recipe for the perfect surf and turf dinner for two right at home.
Before you cook, fully thaw both your steaks and lobster tails. For the filets, place in a dish in the refrigerator until fully thawed. Before cooking, let them rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, outside of their packaging.
To thaw your lobster tails, place them into a pan of ice and water, making sure they’re fully covered. Place the pan in the refrigerator or cooler overnight, or until thawed. Keep the tails in ice-cold water until you’re ready to cook them. Your lobster tails shouldn’t be at room temperature for more than a few minutes.
Surf and Turf Dinner for Two
- Hickory Farms Surf & Turf for Two, thawed
- 2 lemon wedges
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, around 2-3 inches from the broiler heat source and let preheat for 15 minutes
- Line two small baking sheets with aluminum foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray (choose sheets that are small enough to fit in the oven side by side)
- Place the lobster tails, cut side up, on the baking sheet and top with butter and a squeeze lemon juice, then set aside
- Preheat a heavy skillet over high heat. Drizzle the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Add a little extra oil to the pan, then sear the steaks about 1 minute on each side
- As soon as you begin searing the steaks, place the lobster tails in the oven and cook until the meat is firm and opaque (about 6-8 minutes total).
- Be careful not to overcook
- Once the steaks are seared, transfer them to the other prepared baking sheet and place in the oven for 7-11 ½ minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness (see below)
- Remove the steaks from the oven and let rest five minutes
- Arrange the filets and lobster tails on serving plates, top each filet with a pat of butter (if desired), and serve immediately
Times are based upon using thawed filets
Rare (120-130°F) – cook 7 minutes on each side
Medium Rate (130-140°F) – cook 7 ½ minutes on each side
Medium (140-150°F) – cook 8 minutes on each side
Well Done (160-170°F) – cook 11 ½ minutes on each side